Working directly with 135 Balsameros, divided in 4 different regions of la Costa Balsamera of El Salvador
- Improve safety by training on best practices and contracting of an insurance policy for our producing partners.
- Increase visibility and long-term commitments to our producers:
Transmission of know-how to motivating younger
generation to keep the tradition going
- Pre-financing the producers
- Stabilizing prices through a cost structure, as Nelixia’s customers are also committing to long-term contracts.
- Traceability from the producer to the customer.
- Audit and renovations of dehydration ovens to avoid anthraquinone contamination or use of deforestation wood.
- Implementation of stoplight methodology to more than 80 families in the Cerro San Gil Region
We partner with FundaEco, one of the most respected Guatemalan NGO in conservation, which is responsible for a huge natural reserve in the Izabal region. We coordinate with them to help growers within their area of influence.
Myroxylon balsamum pereirae is a tree native form Central America, growing up to 34m in height and can live for more than 300 years…
El Salvador is the only country producing Peru Balsam resin in the world. The main production region is located along the South Coast of El Salvador, known as “Costa Balsamera”.
Production is so particular and ancestral, that the know-how is transmitted from generation to generation. Cardamom is a shrub with leaves of 2 to 3 meters high, comparable to reeds.
Peru Balsam resin harvest is amazingly unique and can only be performed by a skilled Balsamero.
In a first time, tappers climb the balsam trees with a torch, they heat the bark just on certain sides of the trunk, permitting easy bark-removal. They know exactly the size of the incision they need to do to preserve the tree. After a few days, they place a piece of rag over the incision and the balsam starts exuding into it.
Rag and bark pieces are then boiled separately and pressed using an ancestral method. This operation yields crude balsam, which is then purified.